In an episode of ADHD Support Talk Radio titled “ADHD Success in Times of Stress,” co-host Lynne Edris and Dr. Rebecca Jackson come together to delve into the impact of stress on adults with ADHD. They explore how stress can affect individuals with ADHD in various ways, including its ability to fatigue the brain and hinder overall success. The conversation focuses on providing practical strategies that individuals can implement to set themselves up for success despite the challenges posed by stress.
Lynne and Dr. Jackson begin the discussion by acknowledging the unique ways in which stress can affect individuals with ADHD. They highlight how stress can exacerbate ADHD symptoms and impair executive functioning, making it more challenging to stay organized, focused, and productive. They emphasize that understanding the impact of stress on ADHD is crucial for developing effective coping mechanisms and strategies.
Throughout the episode, the co-hosts and Dr. Jackson offer a range of strategies to help individuals with ADHD manage stress and enhance their chances of success:
1. Build a strong support network: Lynne and Dr. Jackson emphasize the importance of seeking support from friends, family, or support groups. They discuss the benefits of having a trusted network of individuals who can provide emotional support, understanding, and guidance during times of stress.
2. Practice self-care: The co-hosts highlight the significance of prioritizing self-care to mitigate the impact of stress. They discuss strategies such as engaging in regular exercise, practicing relaxation techniques (such as deep breathing and mindfulness), getting enough sleep, and maintaining a balanced diet. By taking care of their physical and mental well-being, individuals with ADHD can better manage stress and enhance their overall resilience.
3. Establish routines and structure: Lynne and Dr. Jackson explore the benefits of establishing routines and structure in managing stress. They discuss the importance of maintaining consistent sleep patterns, creating daily schedules, and setting clear priorities. By implementing structure, individuals can reduce feelings of overwhelm and improve their ability to navigate challenging situations.
4. Utilize stress management techniques: The co-hosts and Dr. Jackson introduce various stress management techniques that individuals with ADHD can incorporate into their daily lives. These include techniques such as deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, journaling, and engaging in hobbies or activities that promote relaxation and enjoyment. By incorporating these techniques, individuals can effectively reduce stress levels and enhance their overall well-being.
5. Develop problem-solving skills: Lynne and Dr. Jackson discuss the importance of developing strong problem-solving skills to navigate stressful situations effectively. They emphasize the power of reframing challenges as opportunities and offer strategies for breaking down complex problems into manageable steps. By cultivating problem-solving skills, individuals can approach stressful situations with a more proactive and confident mindset.
6. Practice effective time management: The co-hosts and Dr. Jackson highlight the role of effective time management in mitigating stress. They discuss strategies such as prioritizing tasks, breaking them down into smaller chunks, utilizing time-blocking techniques, and utilizing tools like to-do lists and calendars. By managing their time effectively, individuals with ADHD can reduce the sense of overwhelm and increase their sense of control.
7. Seek professional support when needed: Lynne and Dr. Jackson stress the importance of seeking professional support when stress becomes overwhelming. They discuss the benefits of therapy, coaching, and medication management for individuals with ADHD. They encourage listeners to reach out to mental health professionals who specialize in ADHD to receive personalized guidance and support.
Throughout the episode, Lynne and Dr. Jackson draw from their expertise and personal experiences to provide listeners with practical insights and strategies. They emphasize the importance of acknowledging individual strengths and limitations and tailoring strategies to fit one’s unique needs. By implementing these strategies, individuals with ADHD can navigate stress more effectively, enhance their overall well-being, and increase their chances of success.
Dr. Rebecca Jackson is an industry leader in optimizing brain performance to drive human performance. She brings 12 years of Brain Balance experience to her role as VP of Programs and Outcomes where she drives programmatic enhancements, the creation of new programs, and research on outcomes. Creating hope and an action plan for kids and adults wanting to positively impact their lives is her passion. Dr. Jackson has published research on the topics of anxiety and emotional well-being as well as cognition and is a frequent media contributor and guest speaker appearing on shows such as ABC’s The Doctors Show, NBC’s Nightly News and more. https://www.brainbalancecenters.com/dr-rebecca-jackson
Podcast Co-Host Lynne Edris helps overwhelmed professionals take control of their time and tackle their to-dos with ease so they have more time, more energy, and more money for what they love most! As a woman with ADHD herself, she has been where her clients are and come out the other side, so to speak. She’s gone from living in a constant state of chaos and under-performance to a life full of success and fulfillment, and wants to help you achieve your version of success as well! Learn more about Lynne at www.CoachingADDvantages.com, and sign up for the free Time to Thrive!© group program at www.TimeToThriveGroup.com
ADHD Support Talk Radio is an award winning Podcast for Adults with ADD / ADHD. Co-hosts Tara McGillicuddy and Lynne Edris are joined by Adult ADHD experts and they cover important topics related to Adult ADD / ADHD. Podcast guests include Dr. Edward Hallowell, Dr. Stephanie Sarkis, Dr. Ari Tuckman, Laurie Dupar, Terry Matlen and many more.
Tara McGillicuddy is the Producer, Owner and Co-host of the ADHD Support Talk Radio Podcast. You may contact Tara with general questions or feedback about the podcast.
Lynne Edris is the Co-host of the ADHD Support Talk Radio Podcast. You may contact Lynne with feedback about her episodes.